Since we only have 4 boys – Calvin the Ram and three wethers (Levi, Schuyler, and Danny) – they don’t need as much grazing space in their paddock as the ladies. We still use two 164-foot fences, but we add in the 82-footer to cut up the space. By adding the smaller fence, we cut the larger paddock into “quarters”. When one quarter has been eaten up, we just rotate the small fence by 90 degrees, and they have new grass.
This arrangement makes it very easy to move the boys every few days, and we only have to move the two larger fences once every 12-14 days. We started this technique when they were down at the end of the driveway. They are slowly moving their way back up the driveway, and by the time our perimeter fencing is in place, we’ll move them inside the perimeter and they’ll start heading back down again.
Since we’re on the boys, I thought I’d toss in a shot of their shelter. Kate and I built it about two weeks ago after the farmer’s market canopy they were using blew down the road and suffered some structural damage. It’s big and HEAVY, but one end has two lawn mower wheels on it, so I can pretty easily drag it from one field to the next. Inspired by a design I found on the web that was meant for pigs, the side wall bases are pairs of pressure treated 2x4x12s. Sandwiched between them are three 16-foot cattle panels cut down so that the “tunnel” is about 13 feet. Hold the sandwiches together with 2x4x6s, and cover it all with a heavy duty 12×16 tarp.
Look at the corners – I added these braces about a week later after one of the wethers jumped on the shelter. Our fencer saw him do it. Apparently, he thought we had rolled a little hill into the paddock for him to play on. Next morning, we noticed a significant “lean” to the arc. So far the braces seem to be holding up well and the shelter hasn’t changed shape again.